Pages

Thursday 24 September 2015

It's the little things that pass the time.

Logistics are my thing. It's a weird little talent that gives me a great deal of pleasure. Give me destination and I can run the numbers and find five different ways to get there, the costs, the pros and the cons of each. So planning a move across Europe is like my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one. So I know several ways to get to Vienna, the cost of each and so on.

 However, with many months to go, the main details are sorted and booked. So that leaves me twiddling my thumbs, hoping to keep busy to pass the time. Right now though, I've hit the most important job of the whole trip. Making the Playlist for the journey. With two days in a van and many, many miles to cover, music is essential. But what music? 

Playlist mania.

Obviously, if your moving home, you'll need a sense of humour. So the playlist, which needs to cover nearly 20 hours of travel, needs your favourites and should be sprinkled with a few 'themed' songs. So scattered amounsgt the Queen songs, the odd soundtracks and the just plain weird tracks, there's the 'moving' themed songs to make the journey more fun. 



Now if you're planning a playlist, the first song is important. Given the early hour, and the vast choice of songs out there, I've settled with 'The Great Escape'. It sums up the mood. At 6 in the morning, with the rest of country mostly sleeping, 'the Great Escape' is perfect to sneak away from our old home. 
So playlist 1 (I've split the list into two, one for each day.) starts with 'The great Escape'. From there it's full of upbeat moving songs to help us wipe the sleep from our eyes. Here's a few that will brighten our first day heading to Frankfurt and our Halfway point. 

Eastbound and Down - from smokey and the bandit. 

On the road again - Willie Nelson 

National Express - The Devine comedy 

I've been everywhere man - Jonny Cash. 

For day 2, with us feeling pretty knackered after the first day, we're starting the day with Pharnell Williams's 'Happy'.  Throw in 'Everything is awesome' from the Lego movie to lift our spirits and we'll be on our way from Frankfurt to Vienna. Obviously 'The Blue Danube' will feature, as will a little Beethoven and the 9th symphony which doubles as the European Union's national anthem and the whole thing takes up an hour of airtime. (Filling 20 hours of playlists isn't easy.). 

The whole thing has gotten me thinking though, how many great moving/traveling songs are there out there. If anyone reads this blog. (And I don't actually care if no one does, Lynda and I are having fun just writing it!) and you think of a great song or songs, leave a comment and I'll add it to the list. 

In the meantime , I'm off to find room for the table we unexpectedly bought. That's a story for another blog post though.  

Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment